Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My Egyptian Sarcophagus

Conner Lewis
World History 4
10/23/14











The symbols placed upon my sarcophagus will help me in the afterlife in many ways. The first is that both the knife and the gun will protect me from any possible threats of violence. The band-aid and first aid kit will allow for me to preform simple medical procedures. The clothes are there for both decency and protection against the elements. The flashlight will allow me to see in the dark. The cross will allow me to continue my religious practices in the afterlife, and the false eye will protect my body from grave robbers. The door will allow my spirit to escape the sarcophagus and enter my eternal afterlife. The phoenix shall be the symbol of my rebirth, and is placed on my heart as a necklace as to be weighed against the Feather of Truth on Anubis' scale. The bike will allow easy transportation, while the glasses allow me to see the world. The image of my family will hopefully keep me company and allow me to find them in the afterlife. The key will allow me to enter through any gate or door I may come across. The Money was for the ability to have enough money to survive. The practice of creating a sarcophagus for individuals, and detailing them with very important items, shows that the Ancient Egyptians believed death to simply be a brief halt in life, and that after death came eternal life, at least if you were pious towards the gods. In order to reach the afterlife, one had to not only be a good person, but also recite many spells and passwords from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. This belief probably came from the importance gods had in daily life, and that it would make sense that they would be important to reach the afterlife. The belief that life continues after death in the same way as before probably stemmed from the fact that life in Egypt had remained the same for so many centuries, and that life after death wouldn't change either.

No comments:

Post a Comment